Tuesday 11 December 2012

Removing Grandma's rugs!








I won the argument! Well it wasn't really an argument, grandma is 94 and as sweet as ever, but she wasn't going to let me remove the rugs in her house. Why? Wait for it ... Because they are protecting her carpet. I have heard this exact response from other seniors when I've suggested they remove their rugs.

                                                     Grandma Darling 94 yrs old


Last spring I attended a seminar on "Fall Prevention" by Jackie Hickey from Bayshore Home Health. I have never looked at a rug the same.

Some statistics on falls:
  • About one third of the population over the age of 65 falls each year, and the risk of falls increases proportionately with age. At 80 years, over half of seniors will experience at least one fall annually.
  • As alarming as these numbers are, these documented statistics fall short of the actual number since many incidents are unreported by seniors and unrecognised by family members or caregivers.
  • Frequent falling. Those who fall are two to three times more likely to fall again.
  • About half (53%) of the older adults who are discharged for fall-related hip fractures will experience another fall with in six months
  • Falls are the leading cause of death due to injury among the elderly. 87% of all fractures in the elderly are due to falls.
  • Falls account for 25% of all hospital admissions, and 40% of all nursing home admissions. 40% of those admitted to hospital do not return to independent living and 25% will die within a year.
Where seniors fall:
  • Nearly half of all injuries among seniors occur at home. The bathroom and stairs are particularly hazardous due to the risk of slipping, tripping and stumbling often on rugs.
So, although it took me several visits to persuade my grandmother to give up her rugs, I finally persuaded her to roll them up and give them away. Now I can sleep just a little bit better knowing that I have prevented a possible fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment